Saturday, January 22, 2011

Ella

     She's my pretty princess. Ten years ago I fell in love with a beautiful woman and married her. Four years later I fell in love again. I joke that Winter has my heart and Ella has my soul. Ella just turned six this month. Winter thinks that Ella has me wrapped around her little finger. Our relationship is much more than that though. Ella Marie is probably the most important person in this house.....
     I tell her all the time that if I see her talking to a boy I will spank that boy. She just laughs at me, talks to boys, then looks to make sure I'm watching. Once at a school function of some sort, she called my name from down the table and kissed a little boy on the cheek. What she doesn't realize is that I actually considered spanking that boy right there just to teach them both a lesson. Lesson for her: Don't be kissing boys. Lesson for that poor unsuspecting boy: Stay away from my girl!! ha.
     Fortunately for me and unfortunately for Ella, I have Brody who is 2 grades ahead of her and William who is 1 grade behind her. Between the three of us, Ella should be safe. She may not appreciate our efforts, but she's probably going to receive them anyway.
     She is the sweetest, most loving girl in the world. She is also the meanest, most deceptive girl in the world. She is not a brat even though she has more stuff in her room than all 3 boys combined. She almost always is willing to share her toys and she loves her brothers. She has amazing mothering instincts already. I'm sure she would be a good mother, if she can somehow get out of the house and get married someday. She's the only child that I think I will have trouble letting go. I am almost overwhelmed by the need to protect her and shield her from the bad parts of life.
     My younger sister will testify that I take my job as protector very seriously. More than once I've pulled some boy or other aside to discuss his immediate future after I've seen him talking to her. She will tell you about certain boys she liked who suddenly quit calling her and talking to her at school for no apparent reason....Ella will understand that soon enough.
     For now though, she's my pretty princess and she knows it. According to her, I'm her servant. Somehow I always seem to be doing whatever she asks. Her mom taught her to smile and blink her eyes a lot, and that always works on me. She doesn't hesitate to "charm" me if i tell her no, making the "no" into a "well ok".I would do anything to make any of my kids happy. Ella is the only one who knows that for a fact though. The boys have that little bit of fear that keeps them from pushing me. If I tell one of my boys to do something, they usually do it. If I tell Ella to do something, she usually asks why. The only thing that keeps her from being a total brat is her wonderful mother, who will get her behind if she needs it.
    I think every parent should have a little girl. I also feel sorry for any parent who has more than one. One girl is plenty. I do love mine though, with all my heart.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment