Friday, January 14, 2011

Facebook

     I dont think I'm addicted to Facebook, but I am close. I check it everyday and play games almost every night. I am without a doubt addicted to playing games on my computer. It's been a long developing addiction, dating back to 1986 when i bought my first pc. An apple IIGS that cost 3500 dollars. I financed it and paid it off. Probably paid 5k for it after interest.
     Facebook has become a regular part of life at my house. My wife has FB with her coffee in the mornings and posts various things throughout the day. She keeps up with factory recalls, lost pets and other important things. I have my little laptop (netbook) and I check facebook between jobs here at the shop. If i get caught up on work, I go right to FB and check out the world.
     Some people may think this is crazy, but I have 3,155 friends on facebook. Of course, most of these people are not really my friends. I dont even really know the vast majority of them. I dont even speak the same language as a bunch of them. I have all these friends for 2 main reasons. First, the games. It really helps to have a ton of friends who are playing the same games as me. I advance faster and anytime i need something i just have to ask and someone out there will send it to me. The second reason is fast becoming more important than the first....
     Second, Facebook has become my window to the world. It seems like I have at least one friend from every country in the world!! I have friends in Holland who are actually coming to the US to stay with us next month. My friend Arcy in the Phillipines posts the best food pictures. I imagine she is a wonderful cook and the food looks so delicious. When the college students in England were rioting, I messaged my friend Rebecca Jane. She IS a college student in England and gave me a few updates about what was going on over there....
     I also have a few hundred friends right here where i live that i haven't actually met. Several times now though I've had someone stop me somewhere and tell me they're my friend on facebook. A total stranger, back in November wished me a happy birthday. I asked their name and how they knew it was my birthday. FB of course!
     Generally, I just randomly select people from the suggested friends list. A couple of clicks and then it's up to them. I dont even know it if someone chooses not to be friends with me so my feelings are intact.
     FB is my best option to keep up with family too. In the real world I dont get out much. In FB i can check on the people i care about and sort of know how they're doing on a day to day basis instead of just asking on holidays or other rare occasions when the family all gets together.
     I have to admit that i love facebook. I've been working hard (in my own head) to come up with the next facebook. I know its in there somewhere. Someone will come up with the next new thing. I'd love for it to be me, because I can tell you that the dude who thought up FB doesnt have to wait until payday to pay his bills.
Ha! He probably just pays someone else to pay his bills!!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you love Facebook, but I hate that you love the games!

    ReplyDelete