Thursday, January 27, 2011

A country boy can survive....

     Recently I've heard a few different people on the radio talking about the collapse of the dollar followed by the collapse of the country. If I had to choose between being conservative or being progressive, I'd say I lean more towards the conservative side. I do listen to Beck and Limbaugh every day, but I try to keep in mind that these guys are selling a product. They make a lot of sense though, and I think if anyone listens to them with an open  mind, you will see that.
     If the government prints money, the value of your money decreases. That's just common sense. Like comic books, the fewer of them there are the more their worth. Logically, the government COULD print so much money that money itself becomes worthless. Logically, if money has no value, people will find other ways to get what they need. A loaf of bread might cost 100 dollars, but we still have to eat right?
     Right now, you can sell copper scrap for over 3 dollars a pound, and people are stealing copper from houses at an alarming rate. The higher the price, the more people stealing it and selling it. If our currency becomes valueless, naturally you'd see more crime. As I said, we still have to eat.
     Now, some of the things that Beck and Limbaugh are trying to sell us don't seem that necessary to me. I'm not going to be buying gold anytime soon. At 1500 dollars an ounce, I couldn't buy any of it anyway. Also, I don't feel the need to stockpile rations. I do, however, possess several guns and quite a bit of ammo. These serve two purposes. First, if necessary I can provide food for my family at any time. Second, if rioting and crime increase here, like it has in Europe, I can protect my family. I know some people are against guns, but I say if you don't have one, a guy with a big stick could take everything you own.
    Of course you have to have bullets too. A gun without bullets is just a large rock, or maybe a decent club.
     I'm not trying to buy into the gloom and doom attitude. Like the boy scouts always say though, "be prepared". Nothing wrong with being prepared. We live in an amazing country where people can do what they want, when they want, and where they want. Those freedoms are extremely rare in this world, and we should not only appreciate them, but always be prepared to defend them.
     As our government continues to pass laws that trade our freedoms for our protection, we should ask ourselves all the "what if" questions. My favorite "what if?" is "what if the economy collapses and i lose my job and the world goes crazy with rioting and looting and wars between criminals and police?" Sounds a little crazy I know, and I think that's a worst case scenario, but I'm relatively ready for that. I can hunt and fish and garden to provide food for my family. I have the necessary weapons to provide for their safety.

     I guess my point is, you just never know. I'm living a pretty good life right now, I have a beautiful happy wife, four wonderful children and a decent job that provides most of the things I want my family to have. I'm content with my life and happier than most, I think. But, in the back of my mind these two phrases are always present......"what if" and "be prepared". My advice? Live life to the fullest, be happy and have as much fun as possible!! Just, every once in a while ask yourself "what if?". and ready yourself in case "what if" becomes "now".

No comments:

Post a Comment