Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Eric

     That boy worries me!! Eric is my oldest child. He is 13 years old and has probably been through more drama  in his 13 years that i have in all my life....
     Eric is a good boy, really smart and hard working (if properly motivated). He is actually my step-son but he's been mine since he was 3 and I don't see him any differently than my other 3 children. I've been his dad all along and sometimes, not always but sometimes, he calls me dad and that warms my heart. I just accept the term "dad" from the other 3 but I always notice when Eric says it. We never told him to call me anything, so calling me dad comes straight from him to me and i appreciate it more than he will ever know. Eric lost his real dad a while back in a car accident and I can only imagine the pain. My dad is still alive and hopefully he will live a good long time more before i have to suffer through that. I like to think that Eric is fortunate to have me and i hope that just my presence as a father figure helps ease his pain a little.
     Eric does pretty good in school and really well in sports. He is an outstanding baseball player. He pitches and can play any other position if needed. I played basketball and he's on the team this year which makes me especially proud. This summer I fully intend to play more ball with him to help him make the high school team next year. He'll go to college either way (sports or academic) and make us proud.
     Eric has it made in a lot of ways. He's never wanted anything he didn't get. If his mother and I don't get him something he wants, his grandparents (on his dad's side) will get it for him. They spoil him rotten. When he's with them he calls the shots, that's for sure. I don't mind though, they help us a lot by occasionally getting him things he actually needs like clothes. We always find a way to provide for our children, but any help at all is always appreciated.
     I always say that we're learning how to raise kids from Eric. Being our oldest, he is always providing new experience and testing our parenting. I am the oldest child of 3 myself and I always thought my younger sister and brother had things easier than me. Now i know they did and I understand why. Hopefully someday Eric will look back and understand why he got in trouble for things the other kids didn't get in trouble for. All 4 kids have it pretty good, but right now Eric might tell you that he has it the worst. He has a few chores and we stay on him about grades pretty hard, but overall, he has it pretty good.
    My hope for my oldest is that he will grow to be a good man. I think he's well on his way....

No comments:

Post a Comment